Monday, September 16, 2013

Living for Others

That was my goal for the week. Yet, I realized that we can approach "living for others" in several different ways. I began by doing more random acts of kindness each day, somedays sacrificing little things of my own in order to fulfill someone else's needs and wants. The challenge for me was not in taking action, rather it was difficult for me to fully understand what exactly a humble individual does in order to meet the expectations of "living for others." One can be hospitable and caring, but one can also be compassionate and sharing. This weekend, I dedicated more of my time to spending quality time with family and friends, and this weekend was perfect for that as it was the weekend of the Fiestas Patrias and the Canelo v. Mayweather fight. 

But, throughout the week I gave rides to a neighbor who was planning to take a cab, and since I know how difficult it is for them to get around sometimes, I went out of my way to take them to some of their destinations. It felt good to do something for someone else. 

Also, I did some service learning on Saturday morning in Eloy, Arizona. Driving out there was not necessarily the most fun, but helping distribute goodies to little kids and elderly people was definitely the most satisfying part of it all!

Living for others can be interpreted differently by different individuals, but it can be as simple as being a little less selfless and giving more of your time to others. The little things we do in life can go a long ways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment